Given only the topic sharing personal media and a technology timeframe of 5-7 years in the future, my team designed a media sharing system for group travellers. Although the system has several components, we focused on a large collaborative surface where travellers could organize and share photos, video, text, and other media.
Called ShareSpace, the surface is intended for use during the social time of the trip in the evenings at the café or bar, a chance to collectively reminisce about the days events. ShareSpace encourages social interaction and builds an enduring collective memory of the trip.
- Researched current product trends and technological developments.
- Quickly moved from almost a hundred product ideas to one concept, based on a shared set of explicit values.
- Performed user research using a variety of ethnographic methods.
- Created detailed user profiles and scenarios of use.
- Designed and tested several iterations of the concept.
- Designed and tested several iterations of the product function, form, and interface.
Innovation & hot design topics
- The product explores group work in a social setting, an under-explored area in interaction design.
- We took a systems approach to the problem, designing a family of interconnected and networked products.
- By focusing on the context of the user, we were able to design a much more compelling product than had we focused merely on features.
next project | previous project | back to list